Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Scamming Serenade

I normally receive two or three scam phone calls per day which I either hang up on or keep the scammers talking for as long as I can to waste their time as they so often waste mine.

However, my second call today was a bit different.  When I answered my phone I was entertained by a very shakily sung serenade in Italian.  I listened for a few moments because it was certainly different from the usual cold calls but eventually I interrupted to ask the caller who he was and how much he had drunk.  He stopped singing and told me his name (which I have forgotten) and said that he had not been drinking.  He denied either drinking or taking any enhancers and I received the impression from what he was saying that he felt that people should get some relief from scammers and instead be entertained.

We chatted for a minute or two and parted on very amicable terms.  I, at least, was vastly entertained by the whole episode.  In these days of toilet paper shortages and virtual lockdowns I think that we all need a little bit of comic relief.  

I have put myself into semi-isolation as I have all of the risk factors for Covid-19 but with the shops just downstairs I needn't shop for long and I have stocked up on cat food and litter.  We are in scary times and I am probably vastly over-reacting but I would prefer to wait a while before I risk getting infected.  D2 came with coffee and cake over the weekend but tried out her key and fob to make sure that she can get into my apartment if the need should arise.

The Limerick:-

When I asked an old crofter on Skye
What he did in the winter, and why,
I received an offensive
Obscene, comprehensive
Monosyllabic reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment