Friday, June 8, 2012

Lurgies and smurgles

I have been laid low for the last two weeks with flu and bronchitis but am finally almost back to normal again; just a bit of a residual cough.  So the apartment is in a mess (I hadn't realised just how quickly it got that way, what with the kittens scattering their toys everywhere and the dust which comes from some magic and inexhaustibly source.

To make matters worse, the lift stopped on Level 6 last night and again today, and refused to move.  I was expecting Herself at 10.00am and was not able to invite her up, instead I had to go down all seven levels via the fire escape which is a one-way trip; you can get down but not back up through the doors into the residential areas.  I thought that losing my key was the only access problem I might potentially have but now I need to explore the access to the Level 4 car park from where I can use the service lift.  Staff parking is on Level 4 so there has got to be a way up ...

Parsifal read a LibraryThing discussion on smurgling and decided that, as he is a male oriental cat, that is what he should be doing and went to it will a will so that I was ending up with sodden, cat-sucked clothes.  Fortunately Princess Poppy is above such things being a girl, although I did once own a female Burmese smurgler.

Anyway, I hope that I have sorted the problem.  I discourage the behavior as soon as it starts and if that doesn't deter him I put him onto his 'blankie' which is an old dressing gown made of miffy fleece and he seems to be quite happy with that.  ... And he turned on the kitchen tap the other day.  I think that it was an accident as it moves sideways, unlike the bathroom ones in which the levers move up and down.  He has only done it the once so I think that he jumped illicitly onto the kitchen bench and leaned against it.  I found him playing with the water so I hope that he has forgotten how he did it.

The warranty on the apartment runs out on 23rd July and we have been exhorted to test everything before that date.  I have submitted a short list, including the kitchen light which has, yet again stopped working.  It has had two new globes and two new transformers so the problem MUST come from higher up.

In the latter stages of my bout of flu I decided to fill in some time by putting a new recipe onto my web pages.  Win7 is not very friendly towards html and I stuffed something up and ended up with no recipes and with iinet's "Bob" saying "Ooops we have somehow lost your page".  I finally worked out what the problem was  -  it worked perfectly on my hard drive  -  so I knew that I had done something when I was transferring the file.  Today I managed to get it all working again and my recipes are back and the link to Bigilla works.  Much relief; I didn't have to phone iinet for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment