With about 3cm left of the beastly black's ribbed collar/front I draped it around me and realised that it almost reached my knees. Extrapolating from that I found that the raglan sleeves would start at about waist level which is not at all what I want so I have stopped knitting the 72 inches of ribbing just a bit short but as the instructions suggest putting the stitches onto a stitch holder so that I can make adjustments later if needed I have left my options open.
Looking as the skeins of beastly black which I have left to finish the jacket it seems to me that I may not have enough yarn. Black is black and easy enough to get a close match even if it means knitting the sleeves from a different dyelot so I went to the Trans-Tasman site to see how much or little I would have to buy. They no longer quote amounts so I will have to get in touch with their Australian representative or go over to Bilby Yarns and order it there.
But - the Trans-Tasman lot no longer have black corriedale! Looking at their colour range I had a choice of Liquorice or Jellybean, both of which looked black. But which one? I eventually found a list with American translations and, in Yankese, liquorice is called black so I will be able to match up extra fibre if needed. But I may have to get a whole kilo again. It took me five months to spin the first kilo and my heart quails at the thought of having to spin more.
And that, of course, brings me to my aubergine bump, also a kilo. Will I have enough to knit the Charlotte Onedin sweater which I am planning or should I order more of it now so that I can blend the dyelots in before I spin. A little bit of integral variation in the colour could be attractive so maybe I should just bite the bullet and order another bump of each of them. I can always use it; I look on the corriedale as the sort of bread and butter of spinning - what I use if I need a large amount. I wish that they sold BFL though!