Monday, May 15, 2017

Ipodology - or not

I have never before felt so inadequate when faced with a computer, as if there hasn't been enough stress in my life recently.

My old Epsom XP-100 printer kept on getting its black ink nozzle blocked and I was spending more and more time "wiping" it, culminating in a whole afternoon when the test pattern didn't change no matter how many times I cleaned the nozzle so I decided that it was time to get myself a new printer.  Having seen a newer iPad than my very old one (which I have never really used except to play games on) I decided to get myself a new one while I was in JB-HiFi.  The printer is no problem:  ink cartridges went in easily,  it primed and printed although it should connect wirelessly (it tries  -  more on that later) but the iPad was not so easy.  It rejected all the passwords which I tried and then suggested using a thumb print as ID.  The went OK and I made friends with Suri and took a couple of photos of the cats.  Then I turned it off.

It refused to recognise my thumb print and got very surly when I tried a couple of passwords which I knew that I had tried so I took it back to the store where I was shown how to force start it and plug it into Happy Tunes which would fix it.  It didn't!  Happy Tunes tried to download the repair program but after many tries I gave up and, knowing that I was on iCloud I went there and set a user name and password which should have worked except that I had tried too many times (I understand that five times is the limit) and it was disabled.  Grrrrr!

I phoned Apple and they did a remote connect and tried and tried to fix it until I ran out of time (Mothers' Day and I was being collected by D3 to go to lunch with D2).  So Now I have an appointment for late morning on Wednesday to take it to the Apple Magic Unlock people.  So here's hoping. But GB1 who is now 16 years old and in his second-last year of school said that his class and the one above have all been furnished with Surface Pro4s (I have Surface Pro 3 and it is a nice little tablet) because the school has discovered that employers want their staff to be familiar with Internet Explorer.

My next problem is that the new iPad will not connect with my modem and D1 had the same problem with hers when she came to stay at Christmas.  They both connected with my Hotspot so I realised that the problem probably lay with my new computer which Techie dropped in here in a rush last August after my brush with the Blue Screen of Death. 

I went in to settings and the 'sharing' switches are turned off so I think that techie was in a rush and didn't stop to set things up.  Until the printer and the two iPads I didn't notice that things are not as they should be and so I will call him up when the iPad is unlocked and hope that he will set things up so that the printer and all the rest of my multiple computers can print wirelessly and both iPads will connect without having to turn on the hotspot.

I ended up so confused yesterday that I began to think that I was dementing but a good night's sleep has cleared my brain and I will get things sorted one way or another but if IE is going to be  'de rigueur' then I may have missed the boat with Apple.  Never mind  -  there is always Mah-jong and Sudoku but it did take a really nice photo of the cats so all is not lost  -  except the photo of the cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment