Saturday, June 23, 2018

Desperate measures

I have finally realised that it is going to take a hard push to find my missing knitting needles so I have decided to invoke Sod's Law and have ordered another set of needles.  So far it hasn't worked but I figure that it is a win/win sort of situation in that I will end up with either one or two pairs of 4.5mm needles and they will never come amiss as it is a size which is used a lot.  Hopefully they will arrive next week as they only have to come from Sydney.  Accepted that they will be put onto a camel train and sent via Oodnadatta and the Canning Stock-route, as does most of our mail from over east but one day . . .

One of my second cousins is compiling her mother's history for her immediate family and asked me if I would be interested in putting her findings onto my family tree.  It is all grist for my genealogy mill and she has sent it all to me typed out, as far as I can tell, in MS Word.  It has been something of a steep learning curve as there have been several divorces.  Sometime ago I purchased a book  -  "FTM 2017 Companion Guide to Family Tree Maker" and through that have found a 'relationship' button.  I am still trying to work out exactly how to get to it and will have to print out the tree or sync it to Ancestry.com to see if it works, but …

The granddaughter of one of my second cousins has a partner with whom she has two children and he had a prior relationship which resulted in a daughter.  Because he was not married to the mothers of either set of children I am having a problem working the daughter from his first relationship into the descendant tree as neither is a descendant.  FTM lists her as a stepdaughter but without a marriage it refuses to add her to the descendant tree.  He can be, and is, categorised as a partner so there must be a way:  I just haven't found it yet.

But thank goodness for the book; it would have taken me forever or not at all to have even got as far as I have with this tree.  Prior to the book I simply added this sort of information to the "notes" and this is probably what I will be doing with Claudia in order to get her name out there and in with the family.  She is, after all, a half sister to the second family who are descendants.

The Limerick . . .

To his bride said the lynx-eyed detective,
'Can it be that my eyesight's defective?
Has your east tit the least bit
The best of the west tit?
Or is it a trick of perspective?'

No comments:

Post a Comment