Thursday, June 14, 2018

Hogfather

Anyone who has read the book "Hogfather" by Terry Pratchett knows that if there is too much belief floating around in the world, unchanneled, things will happen.  This is my state of affairs at the moment but instead of sock-eating creatures hiding behind washing machines, in my case it seems to be some sort of knitting needle eater.

I have lost three knitting needles  -  a pair of 4.5mm which I needed to knit the cowl collar on the pink possum sweater which I am trying to finish on account of the cold weather we are experiencing at the moment and one stray size 3mm steel needle which I used to pick up the stitches in order to knit the above-mentioned cowl.

There is, of course, a lot of unregulated belief at the moment just days after the USA/North Korea Summit and that probably explains my knitting needles but it is annoying.  I have searched diligently for the lost pair because they are part of a set of detachable circular needles and their absence has left a gap in their case.  No doubt they will eventually turn up but in the mean time I keep looking through all my unfinished projects in the hope of finding them hidden away somewhere, neglected and forgotten.

The 3mm needle can stay lost.  It is one of the ones which I rescued from my MIL's house when my SIL and I cleared it out, and I don't like using conventional knitting needles any more.  I still have the other half of the pair if I need to do some more difficult picking up of stitches.

My new spectacles have arrived and are very elegant.  My optometrist is now organising some bifocal computer/copy-typing glasses for transcribing family Wills and archived newspaper articles.  I have sadly neglected my Slush Fund lately and although it is strictly for family there is still a great deal to get through and convert to HTML  -  although HTML is a @#%$ to do using Win10 and I have started using my Win7 laptop as it is much easier to edit.

Today I planned to get my ironing done so I went shopping for bath towels.  The sales are on downstairs at the moment and the towels had been reduced to 50% so I have re-stocked in a colour to match my duvet cover and curtains.  the old ones, due to having to be put through the clothes dryer to prevent them from turning into sandpaper, are starting to feel thin.  They will be recycled as cleaning and polishing cloths, something which I sorely need.

So tomorrow  -  (sigh) the ironing.

Today's Limerick (WARNING  -  Adult language used).  "The leader of the rebellion against the fad of the pure Limerick would seen to have been the poet Algernon Charles Swinburne (1837 - 1909). " This one is set in Oxford.

There was a young student of Johns
Who wanted to bugger the swans.
But the loyal hall porter
Said, "Sir, take my daughter.
Them birds are reserved for the dons."  
































































No comments:

Post a Comment