Sunday, January 20, 2019

Fire's Burning

I am doing a double post today because of an untoward happening last night.  At about 12.30 last night, just as I was turning out the light to settle down to sleep the fire alarm went off in the apartment.  When the alarms are tested, something which happens on a regular basis, the alarm runs for a short time and then stops but last night it just kept on keeping on, was very loud and was beamed into ever room so I figured that this was not a test.

That meant that I had to evacuate fast so I threw on a dressing gown and, hauling out the kitty carriage started to search for the cats as there is no way that I would leave them to their fate and getting a kitty carriage with big bicycle wheels means that I can take it down the fire escape stairs if needs be although I quail at the thought of having to do that.

Anyway, Parsifal came out as soon as he saw the kitty carriage and I found Poppy hiding under a table in my utilities room and dragged her out by the scruff.  I didn't bother to harness them but just tossed them both into their transport, grabbed my keys and handbag which I keep by the door, noticed that the fire doors were shut in the corridor and took a punt that it would be safe to use the lift although it is actually not allowed if there is a fire.

The thing which surprised me is that so few people were downstairs.  There are families with babies and small children and I know that it is difficult with small children and babies but rather stupid if there really was a fire.  It was a false alarm according to the fire brigade and we have no information as to what triggered the alarm but it got me thinking.

Mrs 705 never leaves her apartment although she is capable of doing so.  I have a key to her apartment but it is not readily accessible in an emergence and her apartment is through the fire doors.  I need to put it by my door so that I can grab it if I need to get into her place in an emergency and I need to keep the phone number of Senor 702 accessible to phone his Apartment caretaker as he has a key to Apt 702.  

On  lighter note, our owners' Committee representative remarked that we now know what we all wear to bed.

An extra limerick to go with the extra post:-

A lady removing her scanties
Heard them crackle electrical chanties;
Said her husband, "My dear,
I very much fear
You suffer from amps in your panties."

No comments:

Post a Comment