Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Limericks

For the last couple of years I have been ending my posts with a limerick.  As I have tried not to duplicate any of them I have kept a record of the first line of each one I used and there are 71 in all.  Two are duplicates, one accidental and one on purpose and noted as such.  Now I am running out of (relatively) clean limericks and the book which I have used and which I found at my MIL's house when I was helping to clean it out when she died is falling apart, much to my regret.

So I have ordered a couple more; one because it is called Aussie Limericks which is waiting on a reprint and one which is in stock and which I should receive in a few days when my bookshop of choice gets it in for me.  Its title is somewhat suggestive and I am not sure how politically correct it will be but limericks are not supposed to be scrubbed clean; it is part of their appeal that they are funny, clever and usually a bit naughty.

However, I promise you that I will never include any limericks about the musical abilities of flatulent nuns, a subject of which the writers of such poetry are all too fond.

Until my new book arrives, which should be in a couple of days, I will start back at the beginning of my list and repeat some of my most favourites, beginning with the one which has been names the 'ultimate' limerick as it encapsulates in five lines background, story and denouement.

Here it is  -  The Ultimate Limerick:-

There was a young man of Cape Horn
Who wished that he'd never been born.
And he wouldn't have been
If his father had seen
That the end of the rubber was torn.

No comments:

Post a Comment