Sunday, February 16, 2020

Adelaide Society

Last night I had dinner with an old school friend.  She was not actually a friend while we were at school; she was a daygirl and I was a boarder and ne're the twain used to meet.  However, like me she married a Western Australian (or moved here with her husband after they married) and lived close to me so we ran into each other quite frequently. Eventually they moved to Claremont/Cottesloe and she is now looking to downgrade.  As she once said that she would like my apartment or one facing south on Level 7,  with the death of Mrs 705 I mentioned that Apartment B705 would be coming on the market and yesterday she attended a 'home open' and invited me back to her place for dinner last night.

She has a beautiful house full of beautiful furniture, rugs and pictures and she will have to do a huge downgrade if she downsizes and that would be very, very hard.  I was lucky in that buying off the plan I had four years to decide what would fit into the apartment I had bought and was able to shed everything I could not fit or which I did not want any more.

Anyway, during dinner a friend of hers called in and questioned me quite closely as to my connections with Adelaide.  All the male members of my family went to the same school  -  the same one he went to and he knew my family and some friends or friends of friends.  It is really quite incestuous.  I am sure that things have changed now and probably for the better but it pulled me up short and made me think about my life before Western Australia.  I did live over here for several years as a child so I sort of have a foot in each state but I have never felt the connection going back generations the way it did last night.

The Limerick:-

There once were some learned MDs
Who captures some germs of disease
And infected a train
Which, without causing pain
Allowed hundreds to catch it with ease.

This is a special 'corona virus' limerick.

No comments:

Post a Comment