Wednesday, February 5, 2020

The trials and tribulations of redecorating

The Claremont Quarter is refurbishing its apartment public areas and for the next three weeks it is the painting of our front doors.  Mine was supposed to be painted today but by some strange Kiwi logic the painter promoted the idea that I asked for two days hence but since it was now the next day that today was when it was going to be done.  So I missed knitting on account of the door had to stay open until the paint dried (7 - 8 hours) and I didn't want to leave my front door unlocked or leave the cats unsupervised with the door unlocked; not that they went anywhere while the door was wide open.

Anyway, when I tried to close the door after the paint was dry I found that when the lock was replaced it was somehow skewed so that neither key nor handles nor the little snib thingy worked and I realised that if I pushed it shut no-one would have been able to rescue me without removing the lock again.  So I tied a sash around the handles so that it could not accidentally slam and first thing this morning went down a level to where the painters were and asked to have the lock properly inserted again.

During my search I found the new carpet laid out on Level 5 and it is the most dreadful smudgy leopard spots and it looks a bit fluffy which will mean that shopping trolleys will not wheel over them easily.  I have suggested that the wallpaper should have giraffes and elephants to emphasise the theme.

I have been having problems with my eyes and accompanying vertigo but that seems to have cleared up and five weeks after I started trying for an appointment with my ophthalmologist I am finally going to see him next week.

On a lighter note I have acquired a whole heap of knitting yarn and have made an early start on knitting for the homeless.  I have finished three pairs of wrist warmers but have not sewn them up yet (why do knitters hate sewing up?).  There is no hurry -  yesterday and the day before were over 40 degrees and today was 39.  Sydney with its bushfires and high humidity was much worse and at least I have air conditioning.

The Limerick:-

I bought a new Hoover today,
Turned it on in the usual way,
And it made a great din
And sucked everything in.
Now I'm homeless with no place to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment