Monday, February 8, 2016

Update on the Saga of the SAD Lamp

I posted the broken SAD lamp back to USA at great expense only to have two unsuccessful attempts to deliver it to the addressee  -  so it boomeranged back to the Claremont Post Office.

I contacted Amazon and they responded immediately, refunded the money and offered to possibly repay the postage.  I suspect that when they find out how expensive it is to post an article from Western Australia to America they may re-consider that offer.  All they asked was that I should return the lamp to them  -  different address but back to America so another $100.  If they refund all the postage I will just about break even but since they have refunded the cost of the lamp I felt obligated to return it to them.

Himself and I went to COTA to familiarise ourselves with the rebuilt computers.  Himself found that Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 were working after a fashion (no Outlook.com) but Windows 10 really is not working to a standard where it is going to be possible to teach using it.  To begin with I had difficulty connecting to the internet and ended up going through Control Panel or its equivalent and it didn't show in the task bar that it was connected.

I don't really want to have to try to teach email on MS Outlook so I have reactivated my COTA Gmail account as it is a fairly generic carrier.  In the meantime I will try to find Outlook.com which I am told should be in the 'M' section of the apps.  Maybe it is still called Live Mail on that patched-up computer.

I need to get in there and put some useful links on to the start menu so that I can navigate easily but maybe the guys who do the Tuesday and Wednesday classes will do that before I have to try.  Hopefully any clients I have this Thursday will only want Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 but I will be taking my tablets and hotspot with me just in case.

We are having a heatwave at the moment with temperatures around 40 to 41 degrees Celsius.  Thank goodness for air conditioning and maybe it will put off my clients so that I have some time to  try to get some sense out of Boardroom 1 (the computer which I use).

No comments:

Post a Comment