Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Stone the @#%$ Crows

About 15 months ago an Aussie fibre dyer challenged a selection of other fibre dyers to produce a couple of colourways which reflected a character in one of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books.  This was to be a limited dyelot and was very imaginative.  People were truly sitting at their computers with their fingers on the button to get what they wanted as soon as the fibre was made available -  and of course everyone who managed to get into the sites thoroughly overbought to the extent that many of the suppliers decided to eventually allow people to order what they had missed out on.  It was a bonanza for them.

I managed to score several colourways, all of which I have now spun  -  but today I finally plied the last of it, a merino/silk mix which spun fine and I had ten hanks of it.  I hate plying and this was fine enough to be greatly increased in length so it has taken me all afternoon.  The colourway is called 'Quoth the Raven' and is a glorious mix of purple and aqua.  Goodness knows what I am going to knit with it and when I have solved that particular dilemma I have a whole kilo of another colourway, Jewel, which is BFL and silk.  Not quite as soft and rather beautiful but  -  a  kilo?

So I am immersing myself in the Chunderup sweater which is becoming a real fun knit and I am so looking forward to wearing it that I will probably actually sew it up instead of procrastinating as I am still doing with the last Kimono Sweater which I finished ages ago.  Oh, well  -  it is supposed to be summer here.

I have recovered from my latest bout of Meniere's disease and am tailing off the medication since it increases my RLS and that prevents me from getting a good night's sleep.  Next week I will hopefully be back to yoga.

I wrote and submitted my ideas about what should be done with the COTA computers.  So far there has been only one response which I will copy and paste here.


Thank you Xxxxxx and of course for the very comprehensive assessment by Liz. I have little to add other than to hope that not all data is lost as a good selection of prepared material is necessary to save time. For example the word document “Bess was a cow” has been copied/pasted/deleted and restored/reconfigured until poor Bess was so dizzy her milk ended up as a “milkshake”. I also use the example of such numerous shortcuts as a pure example of the “what not to do” syndrome. I guess really we have to evaluate the  client on the first visit and tailor the time to meet the needs of the client. Regarding use of the dongle, I rarely have any clients that dangle their dongle to me so it is not an issue. I was surprised that the wi-fi option was removed by the Centre.

Cheers -

I copied and pasted 'Bess was a Cow' from my web pages because I needed quick access to a big chunk of text in order to teach editing and was very happy to read that someone else was using it for the same purpose.  I will probably change the text for this year and probably use the bit about horses since washing the lubricant off condoms and a dissertation on my grandmother's corsets may not be to everybody's taste but have invited the above writer to go to the site and choose his own text if he wants to.  Technically everything on the internet is copyright but since I wrote and posted the reflections on my childhood I am free to give my OK to him to use whatever he wishes with the proviso that he does not use the piece on wombats or the Rubaiyat since they are copyright and I only have permission to use them on my webpages.

No comments:

Post a Comment