Sunday, February 4, 2018

Minnie in Wonderland


Once upon a time I used HTML coding to product a large website,
and became very proficient at it.  However, it has been years since I attempted to do more than play around with it or have done more than dabble , starting an embryonic exposé of the things about my family which I was never told when I was a child, for reasons which my research has informed me, were that some of the exploits of my mother’s family were not fit for Childish ears. 


 A few days ago I decided to get back to writing up this alternative family history which I had started doing in HTML so that I could use links to navigate from one family member to another, the intention being to save it all to flash drives and distribute it to any members of my family who might, at some stage, be interested.


However, what was easy in Windows 7 is not so in Windows 10.  There is no longer an option to right click on a web page and be given the option to ‘view source’ which made editing the text very simple.  I spent a whole afternoon trying to work out how to edit HTML in Windows 10, even going to a Microsoft help line where the participants were as confused as I was.


Finally, desperate, I gave one last shot at right clicking and realised that I was given, among other options, the ability to ‘open with’ and one of those options is Notepad which is the HTML facilitator which I have always used to build my web pages.  Still not all that easy since to begin with the two pages are not side by side although that happens eventually.


 So there I was at 3.00am this morning and feeling like the White Queen trying to do Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast,  my sticking point now being how to remember negotiating files within files.  I will get there  -  it just takes time and in the meantime I am gradually remembering how to create links.  I confess that I have been cheating a bit by looking at the coding on my website but it is still a bit of a learning curve since Windows 10 is not as friendly as Windows 7 was,


 Sorry  -  this is all a bit boring but I needed to get it off my chest so that I can sleep tonight.


 And now for your haiku error message for today:-


The web site you seek
Cannot be located, but
Countless more exist.

Sorry  -  the computer is not behaving well this evening and the font size is erratic and refuses to normalise itself.








No comments:

Post a Comment