Monday, March 12, 2018

Is this what I am in for now?

A few days ago I received, after some problems with my current postman which I will not go into today, the personal alarm which I ordered to make me feel safe from falling, dying and being eaten by my starving cats.

It is not really that bad but there is hardly anyone up here on the top floor of this apartment building and I only ever seem to meet the other residents when travelling up and down on the lift.  To make isolation more extreme there is no master key and anyone moving around the building needs a special fob to unlock the lift and any doors in and out of the secure areas.

Because my balance is not good due to vertigo there is always a danger that I might fall so I ordered and received a nifty little alarm which is basically a small mobile phone with five phone numbers programed in and which ring in sequence if I press the alarm button.  It also has a GPS tracker, speaker phone facility, a fall alert and I can phone the person who is No.1 in the call sequence which is D2.

So far, in the two days I have been wearing it, I have had two telemarketer calls and one call from someone who wanted to speak to Stephen.  Not exactly what I had expected.

Ever since I received my DNA readout I have been busy upgrading and adding to my Family Tree.  There were a couple of sticking points with my much-married Davies family, the ones who have given me such a huge percentage of Welsh genes.  The first sticking point was the maiden name of  *Ted the Tanner's mother but I have, after spending the whole of Saturday and part of yesterday scrolling through census and BMD records for Wales found her in England.  Luckily she had a slightly unusual given name which has been perpetuated down the generations  -  and the others who had her on their trees were right all along.  My problem is that I need proof and sources, not just someone else's work (or guesses).

My second sticking point was with her daughter Elizabeth (actually there were two shown)  The difficulty for me was that the first Elizabeth is recorded as having died the very day that the second Elizabeth was born.  I know that sometimes a subsequent child was named after a dead sibling but the callousness and the timing had me suspicious.

So I have concluded that there was only one Elizabeth Davies and I think that she remained unmarried but I will have to hunt through the 1861 and 1891 census records to be sure.  It is enough to give me crossed eyes  -  it is very tedious.

*I should explain  -  a distant cousin who lives over the other side of Australia collaborated with me to search out our Welsh forebears:  The patriarch was David Davies and he has a son Edward and a grandson also Edward so we identified them by their professions  -  Ted the Tanner and Ed the Architect.

Today's Sudoku:-

With much searching comes loss
And the presence of absence:
"My Novel" not found.

No comments:

Post a Comment