Friday, March 30, 2018

I may have finally found my genealogical block

And I must have found it before because it was saved on Ancestry.com.

John Sexton appeared out of nowhere, claimed on his marriage certificate that he was a mariner and seemed to have risen, fully formed from the waves, like Venus.

What I discovered was a 1841 entry from the British Census  for a John Sexton, aged 19 years old and listed as an Able Seaman, address  -  Lifton Park House in Devon.  There were a couple of dozen names under that address which makes me wonder if it was a courtesy address for a Naval Training Facility  - and although I am unable to find any mention of one Devon would be the place to look.

I will keep on plugging away at it and maybe one day something more will come to light.

One thing I am sure of is that his father was not named John Ebenezer Sexton.  He had a son called Ebenezer John who died when he was in his early thirties, unmarried.  John's father was given a name John Ebenezer on my John's death registration and I suspect that it was a feasible made-up name to fill a place on the form.   I have scrolled through ancestry and there isn't a single John Ebenezer Sexton listed there in any category.  No easy contact with England when needed has caused this to happen before  - in my Davies family when Ted the Tanner's daughters were unable to work out who his first two wives had been they took a stab at it and probably got the right one but there is no proof.

I am getting very annoyed with Facebook and their proliferation of advertisements.  A couple of days ago I went to a site to check on lip gloss colours available and immediately there were company advertisements on Facebook.  All they do is to take up space and bandwidth and put in trackers which all have to be deleted before I log off.

I used to go there for the US politics but more and more I am going straight to U-tube and Rachel Maddow.  Her commentary is always enlightening and she manages to make politics interesting.

And now for the Sudoku.  I am not sure what I am going to do when I run out but I have a book of Limericks and some of them are actually reasonable clean  -   so maybe ...

Stay the patient course.
Of little worth is your ire.
The network is down.

Blondie, I notice that you are still listed as a follower; I'd love to hear from you if you are still out there -  just post in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment