Thursday, April 12, 2018

There are vibrators and then again there are vibrators

I was diagnosed with a type of hereditary deafness when I was aged 20 and since my early thirties I have, on and off, worn a hearing aid.  The off times were when I had surgery to replace the ossicles in my middle ears but I have reached a stage where I can no longer hear my alarm clock which can be awkward.

So I finally bit the bullet and ordered a "Sonic Alarm with Bed Shaker"  which has been sitting on my hall table for over a week.  The problem was that the instructions were in the fine print, with the buttons on the back and the display on the front and two buttons had to be  pressed simultaneously to change the settings.  I seriously considered asking GB1 to set it for me but today felt brave enough to tackle it myself on the assumption that if I totally messed things up then GB1 could fix it for me.

Hopefully it will now work although I haven't plugged in the bed-shaker bit and will not do so until I need to get up early.  It is very fancy with several levels of dimmer for the LED display, five different sound levels for the alarm (which will continue for 30 minutes unless turned off because I haven't yet managed to shorten the time for that and I assume that I would have woken up and turned if off by that time anyway).  When I tested the sound level for the alarm it scared the pants off the cats so I know that even without the bed shaker it will wake me if I turn the sound up.

The first thing on my Bucket List was to have my eyes tested and I now have cataracts which will need to be dealt with.  Because I have torn retinas in both eyes which were lasered into place a few years ago my optician is not confident that I will be able to simply have day surgery but might need to be hospitalised.  He is referring me, at my request, to the Lions Institute which did one of the laser treatments  -  and they are seriously good  -  so hopefully I will get the best possible treatment.

But it might mean boarding the cats for a while, a prospect which I haven't yet told them about but none of us is going to enjoy it.  In the immortal words of Donald Trump  -  we will have to see what happens.

Oooops! I forgot the Sudoku

Three things are certain:
Death, taxes and lost data.
Guess which has occurred.

No comments:

Post a Comment