Thursday, May 10, 2018

... and it doesn't get any better.

Not long after writing up my last blog entry Parsifal, my boy cat, managed to get himself trapped behind the washing machine.  He does this periodically when he thinks that he is being ignored and the gap at the side is too narrow for him to walk out on his own and no way for him to jump up and out so the washing machine has to be manoeuvred sideways (and it is very heavy) close to the hot water storage tank.

This time he managed to also get the electrical cord twisted around his tummy with no room to untangle himself so I had to go over the top of the machine, unplug the cord and by lying over the top with my legs stuck out the back I managed to untangle him.  There were a couple of men up on the roof trampling around and talking and I was swearing like a trooper so I didn't hear my personal alarm give its preliminary 20 seconds of beeps and I assumed that the voices I heard were from the men on the roof.  I now realise that I must have triggered things by squeezing the alarm button between the washer and my ribs.

It was only after the rescue had been concluded that I heard D2's voice asking me if I was OK.  I can't imagine what she thought was going on but at least we both now know that the thing works.  Later I also received a call from my next-door neighbour who had received a text message  saying that I might be in trouble.  This happens of the alarm reaches a mobile phone.  My neighbour is fourth on the list so her role is to phone for an ambulance and beam up the paramedics.  Once again  -  it is nice to know that the gadget works.

And yesterday I attended the Lion Eye Institute where, after multiple tests with me looking into bright lights, I was told by the ophthalmologist that due to the previous laser work done to my retinas there would be a 2 - 3% chance that I could lose my sight altogether if I had my cataracts removed and he was not prepared to take the risk, especially as, with spectacles, my vision was really quite good still.  So I have an appointment to see him again in a year.  I suppose that eventually I will get to a stage where the risk becomes worth it and it will, by then, become a kill or cure scenario.

The penultimate sudoku:-

Having been erased
The document you're seeking
Must now be retyped.


No comments:

Post a Comment