Sunday, October 21, 2018

Today I am wearing my comma police hat.

I visit Facebook every day and the thing which strikes me often is the proliferation of meaningless commas scattered throughout the posts.  I found this meme today and felt that it was memorable for the sheer number of unnecessary commas.

"About marihuana, the people that don't smoke it won't start, just because it is legal.  The people that do, will help pay taxes, and buy more munchies, to help the economy."

I counted four unnecessary commas in that short passage.  Another gripe (and here I get onto my hobbyhorse) is the use of 'that' instead of 'who' or 'which'.  But I digress. . .

Another gripe:  if you are tweeting and have a limited number of characters per tweet it seems to me that not using the 'F' word would give you four extra characters for every time you don't use it.  And is it necessary in every Facebook post?

OK  -  so I am in a bad mood.  It is now a week since I had my mammogram and no feedback so far.

I have been trying to re-educate the cats to their harnesses with a view to taking them out to the park in their Kitty Carriage and letting them have a little run on the grass.  Poppy is happy to wear her harness but gets seriously upset if I take her out for a walk and we have about 24 hours of hissing and spitting at Parsifal.  He, on the other hand, enjoys going out and meeting and greeting but today was cold and windy and he didn't like it although he had asked to be taken out.  

For some reason he is upset and noisy today.  I wish that he could talk and tell me what is wrong but although he has an extensive vocabulary that is, sadly, beyond even a very clever cat.

The Limerick:-

Rosalina, a pretty young lass
Had a truly magnificent ass:
Not rounded and pink,
As you possibly think -
It was grey, had long ears and ate grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment