Sunday, July 14, 2019

A Birthday

My birthday started with a visit from two second cousins for an exchange of family information.  One of them I had met before and her brother wanted to meet me so he came along as well and culminated with D2 taking me out to dinner at one of Cottesloe's best restaurants.

Friday D1 arrived from Sydney , very late, because the plane which she had booked on was cancelled due to high winds and she arrived at about midnight  -  eight hours after she was supposed to arrive.  Saturday night was a family dinner at one of Shenton Park's best restaurant with all seven of us.  My dessert came with one small candle and the waitstaff all lined up and sang "Happy Birthday" and the whole clientele gave three cheers.  A lot of fun and quite unexpected.

D1 has now flown back to Sydney on an also delayed flight and also due to high winds.  And I think that we had a small earth tremor this morning.  My chair was shaking so I checked in a jug of water and it was not just me trembling.  No doubt it will be reported in the news tonight if it was not caused by the golden arches which the Council seems to be installing in The Lane.  I am not sure what that is all about but it would be nice if they were roofed as we get just as wet, if not wetter, walking through the umbrellas which are there now and which drip at the edges.

I am still struggling with my eyes.  The right eye is better but by no means best and it is hard to focus.  I will be seeing the ophthalmologist in three days so he can judge the progress, whether or not there will be more improvement over time, if he wants to iron out the retina and when he intends to remove the cataract in the left eye.

and the Limerick:-

There was a young priest named Delaney
Who said to the girls, "Nota bene,
'Twould temp the archbishop
The way that you swish up
Your skirts when the weather is rainy."

* * * 

Addendum:
A magnitude-6.6 earthquake in the Indian Ocean has been felt across large parts of Western Australia.
The quake struck about 200 kilometres off the coast, between Broome and Port Hedland at 1:39pm on Sunday.



No comments:

Post a Comment