Sunday, October 18, 2015

No More Straw to Gold

My friend, Herself, who organised for me to join her as the practical half of the duo which demonstrated spinning wheel spinning for Grade I pupils at her local primary school died late this afternoon.  She had a stroke about four months ago and, although severely handicapped, was due to leave hospital and return home in about a week after modifications had been made to the house and a care package was in the process of being being negotiated to supplement Herself's care..


Today, for the first time since her stroke, she went home for lunch as a trial run.  Himself and their daughter and son-in-law were there to ensure that things went well. She had lunch, a rest on the bed and tested out the new bathroom arrangements and everything was great.  Then, just before she was due to return to the hospital for the evening meal she collapsed with what sounds like a pulmonary embolus . . . and died.  Despite the shock to her family she probably could not have chosen a better time  -  home with the family and their beloved dog and at the end of a lovely day.  Sudden death is always a shock for those let behind but that is what I would like for myself and I suspect that most people would agree that it is the ideal way to go.


She will be greatly missed by her family and friends but despite Himself's efforts to give her as normal a life as possible there is no getting away from the facts that her life has been severely restricted by her handicaps since her stroke and she must have felt helpless and angry at her restricted life.


I can't praise Himself enough for his efforts to get her home to enable her to live as normal a life as possible , spent a great deal of time at the hospital with her and hired a maxi-taxi to take her out to concerts and events which he knew that she would enjoy.


I feel the loss deeply for myself and I can only imagine what her family must be feeling. Conventional condolences do not seem enough but I will be ready to give comfort and assistance if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment