Sunday, July 1, 2018

Family Matters

A second cousin and I have been putting her mother's family into my Family Tree Maker program and after emails and phone calls over the weekend and before, we have finally got it sorted  -  I hope.  It is not easy to check off the names, dates, spouses, children and deaths over generations stretching from 1871 to the present and I have left my cousin to do the hard yards.

Between us we have compiled three versions of the descendant charts and one last phone call disputing the birth date of one of the uncles which was not borne out by the Family Bible  -  but a quick check in Ancestry.com proved that the family bible had it right so now we have put the project to rest.

Except that FTM is in the process of doing an upgrade and it wasn't working all that well and I was unable to upload all our hard work to Ancestry.com; I complained.  This evening I checked again and was told that changes had been made, the update was almost finished and it was now safe to upload the new data.  I am keeping my fingers crossed because it is all a bit new and untried.

I had notification by mail on Friday to say that I will be getting connected to the NBN (National Broadband Network) on September 4th and that I should choose a plan.  I am not altogether happy as there have been bad reports about the NBN but hopefully the problems are being addressed since I understand that I have no choice except as regards which of the three plans I want to go with.

On Friday I had coffee with my two genealogist cousins where we lamented the unforgiveable habit some people have of simply copying from other trees when compiling their own so that any errors are perpetuated.  I have found this to be a problem and check and recheck sources where I can and do not put any unverified data into my tree.

Anyway  -  enough of family: I spent last week doing things outside the apartment and need to clean and tidy.  That means, among other things,  pruning my collection of books which has led to all manner of resurfaced treasures.  I am trying to dispose of three books per day to the book exchange "Little Library" downstairs.

This limerick is a follow on from the last one and is the reply to the question of whether or not objects exist if there is no-one there to see them.

"Dear Sir, Your astonishment's odd;
I am always about in the quad;
And that's why the tree
Will continue to be
Since observed by Yours faithfully, God."

No comments:

Post a Comment