Friday, February 8, 2019

American Teeth

American teeth is a phrase which I first heard on a British TV series called Shetland.  In it the female lead was wearing braces on her teeth and stated that she was wearing them because she wanted 'American teeth'.

Since spending a great deal of my time watching American politics I have been noticing teeth.  They go from beautiful (RR) to obviously false (RG) to advertisements on Facebook of whole sets of lower teeth suspended above bare gums and with hovering screws which is all a bit scary and one wonders if this also happens to the upper teeth.  People in the spotlight have, for eons, had their teeth capped and I wonder if this vision of floating lower teeth is simply an extension of capped teeth taken to the extreme of total extraction rather than crowns where is shows.

The thing which has brought this whole debate is my temporary addiction to watching Star Trek. As I am watching the series on my computer I can get up close and personal and what didn't show when I watched it in the 1960s on a small-screen TV is the state of Mr Spok's teeth.  He certainly had the appearance of "smokers' face" with the deep grooves down each side of his nose and mouth and which helped towards his rather strange Vulcan appearance but his bottom teeth are dreadful.  They are black at the edges and are seriously in need of a good scale and polish.  I suspect that Leonard Nimoy was a heavy smoker with an upper set of American Teeth.

Somebody over in 'A' block wants to use an apartment for Short Stay Tenancy and we are having a meeting to either ratify or vote down the idea.  One of my neighbours across the corridor told me that in his apartment (he actually is Italian and lives in Switzerland) there are two short-stay apartments each with sleeping for six.  Average turnover is four days and he said that there is no longer any security at all.  He is very much against the idea and so am I.  I have been sort of acting as an intermediary as his English is heavily accented so I have found out that we need a 'no' vote of over 25% to vote the measure down.  Hopefully that will not be too hard to achieve.  Fingers crossed but if it is allowed for the one apartment it may happen over in 'B' block as well.

The Limerick:-

There was an old maid of Pitlochry
Whose morals were truly a mockery
For under the bed
Was a lover instead
Of the usual porcelain crockery.

No comments:

Post a Comment