Wednesday, November 6, 2019

My right second toe is going to have a makeover

I have been sitting on a referral to the UWA Podiatry Clinic for some time and with my eyes sorted I finally grasped the nettle and paid a visit to the UWAPC to see what they could do for my very sore toe.  I have been trying for years to find a podiatrist who is willing to tackle the toe and finally asked D2 if she could recommend someone to me.

It was great.  Far from trimming my corns and sending me on my way as did two previous podiatrists whom I had consulted, my feet were photographed and examined and a plan laid out for me.  The offending toe will be shortened straightened  and the second joint fused.  A Kirschner wire will hold it for about six weeks until it is healed and I will have to wear a moon boot for that time.  At a later date, if the toe on the left foot starts to give grief I can have the same procedure done to that one.  This surgery will happen next year as the students will be going on holiday next month.

The UWAPC is for podiatrists who want to learn to do surgery and they are taught and supervised by experienced podiatric surgeons.  I have opted for student involvement as the operation doesn't sound very complicated and we all learnt on live patients when we were training.

The cats had a very traumatic time this afternoon.  Parsifal was nosing around in my knitting bag and one of the handles tangled around his neck.  He panicked and, knocking aside everything in his way with loud crashings, he fled through the cat door and into my bedroom. Luckily the knitting bag stayed on the outside and he slid through the loop of the handle.  Poppy thought that it was definitely the end of the world and refused to be consoled to the degree that she refused to eat her dinner until Parsifal was out of the way.  The knitting survived, as did the cats. I'm not so sure about my nerves.

The limerick:-

The dog-loving Countess of Crupps
Was heard to confess in her cups,
"An affair with a collie
Was the height of my folly,
But I got a good price for the pups."

No comments:

Post a Comment