Thursday, October 31, 2019

. . . and today is a black letter day

I took possession of my two black kittens almost eight years ago when they were about ten or eleven weeks old.  Special breeder kittens are usually not released to their new owners until they have been vaccinated and neutered  -  at approximately 16 weeks old.  I suspect that I was allowed to take possession of them so early because my long-time vet was the consultant for the experimental breeders and perhaps gave me a good report.

Anyway, Poppy must have sustained an injury to one of her front legs, possibly when she first went back to her breeder to the boarding kennels attached to the cattery.  I base this on the fact that the comment when I picked them up was, "Poppy is very aggressive."  That was news to me but later I noticed that her right front leg seemed painful and it was very difficult to clip her nails as she found it very distressing.

Now that she has been on regular anti-inflammatory medication for the last six months she has been getting easier to handle and allows me to clip her claws as long as I produce the container of 'special' treats which both cats are given only when their claws are trimmed.

Now I have noticed that she is starting to chase balls and pipe cleaners and today  -  for the first time that I can remember -  she helped me to make my bed.  That is normally Parsifal's job and it was a joy to see her underneath the top sheet as soon as I tried to spread it.

The Limerick:-

There was a young drover named Gorse
Who fell madly in love with his horse.
Said his wife, "You rapscallion,
That horse is a stallion!
This constitutes grounds for divorce."

No comments:

Post a Comment