Monday, February 24, 2014

" Two Lovely Black Eyes ... "

Today I had a basal cell carcinoma removed from each eyelid.  For a while I didn't think that it was going to be able to have them removed.  When I first saw the plastic surgeon I said that I wanted them removed under local anaesthetic.  However, he said that it would be better if I had "a little sedation" so I was booked in to the local day surgery place, fasted from midnight and turned up bright-eyed if not particularly bushy tailed, having missed out on my morning coffee.  After a couple of hours wait I was readied for surgery but when I spoke to the anaesthetist he wanted to know who was taking me home and who was staying the night with me.  The answer was that I didn't know that I needed anyone.  He told me that the law had changed and anyone having an anaesthetic couldn't be allowed home unsupervised.  Impass!

At the nurse's insistence she phoned D2 who was, of course working and couldn't help, especially as she was working a late shift.   The first option I suggested was that I should be admitted overnight to hospital but then I asked why was it not possible for me to have the procedure done under local anaesthetic and this time the surgeon agreed.  It took all of five minutes and two tiny pinpricks.  He said that most people didn't like having injections into their eyelids and that I was very stoical but given the alternatives it wasn't an option.

So now I have two black eyes.  The right one is more or less covered by my spectacle frames but the left one is a beauty.

I have started knitting up the scarf I intended making from my woollen spinning from rolags and it is turning out much better than I could have hoped.  The spinning is uneven but I am using a brioche stitch which is like a very loose rib and rather than give the scarf away to someone I don't like very much (my sister would have been a good candidate for that) I am going to keep it for myself although the colours are not ones which I normally wear.

Here is a photo of the progress so far.  I still have to spin a couple more skeins but that is a minor concern as I am having fun with the rolags, spinning woollen and doing the long backdraw.  Click on the picture to enlarge it.



No comments:

Post a Comment