Wednesday, April 17, 2019

It is said that bad things always come in threes

On Monday of last week the main lift to the B Block apartments broke down.  Regretfully there was a man trapped in it for 90 minutes without any feedback as to progress with repairs.  That was bad.

On Monday of this week the lift broke down again.  Fortunately there was no-one trapped this time.  I duly reported it as I was the first person to discover it, to my knowledge, although there are probably many people here who do not know how to report a breakdown.  Anyway, it took three phone calls to get to the right person and yesterday we all got an email to say that the lift was not working again, which we all knew and that a new part was needed and it had to come from the eastern states and with all the holidays over the next couple of weeks it would be April 29th before anything meaningful could be done.

So we have to use the backdoor lift which opens out into the back yard of the next door pub and has a 20cm step  which is difficult for prams and pushers and impossible for people using wheelie frames or wheelchairs.  So I suggested that a temporary or permanent ramp should be put in place for the duration.  I was thanked for this suggestion; management had not realised that there was a step. But still no ramp.

Nothing ventured - today I trekked down to the end of the corridor, went and did what shopping I needed to do and came back via my mailbox (by the front door) to collect my mail only to find that someone had removed the barrel of the mailbox lock .  At that stage I nearly sat down and wept.   It is the second lock of mine which has been broken since I moved in.  The first was the lock to my storage area and not only was it in a secure area but the padlock was wrenched off the slide bolt and was found in two parts in the shopping centre.  After that I had a deadlock put onto my storage area door and the barrel of my front door lock changed so that I could still use the same key for both locks.

So  -  the lift and the lock.  What next?  The lights?  I need to get an electrician in anyway as three downlights are out and one is flickering or maybe there will be another false fire alarm in the middle of the night and we will all end up in the backyard of the pub in our nighties again.

The Limerick:-

A tone-deaf old person from Tring
When somebody asked him to sing, 
Replied, "It is odd
But I cannot tell "God
Save the Weasel" from "Pop goes the King"

No comments:

Post a Comment