Sunday, September 13, 2015

Thumbs down to Windows 10

I was able to download Windows 10 onto my surface pro 3 and I have spent two days trying to come to terms with it.  I no longer have a desktop with pretty icons on it and it refuses to allow my internet provider's email.  It has allowed G-mail and Yahoo, neither of which I use all that much.  I tried going private/local instead of The Cloud but it wants all manner of details which I do not have so, at this stage, I will still use email in this computer and wait until I have a need to call in Techie to sort things out for me.


After two days of playing with it I am getting some idea of how it all works but there are new symbols which cover a multitude of options and I am still finding my way around them.  The only consolation, if I find myself having to teach it, is that I am probably marginally ahead of any terrified newby who fronts up for lessons.


So far I haven't come across anything which it does better than Classic Shell.  It doesn't seem to have the facility to create shortcuts but since there is no desktop as such I guess that figures.  From the book I gather that 'favourites' still works but I have never found that nearly as useful as shortcuts.  I suppose that I will have to get used to it; and I seriously doubt that it supports MS Picture Manager but I haven't even tried that yet.  I downloaded it onto one of my Windows 8.1 computers so maybe that will be possible when I am forced to use Win 10 but I intend to stick with Win 7 on my desktop computer if I can.  I actually haven't started looking at "Pictures" yet.  I can save documents into 'My Documents' so that is one thing sorted but I can't see myself loading photos onto a tablet when I have a wide screen on my main computer.


I suppose that we can get used to almost anything but the only good thing I can think of is that MS has promised to simply update rather than devise new versions  in the future.  But I am not holding my breath.


EDITED to say that MS has just done an upgrade and I now have a desktop with pretty icons, an MS button in the left-hand corner of the screen which WORKS and I have my iinet mail which I must admit took a while to connect itself but I think that I can now send emails from it  -  and it can certainly receive because I have just deleted mail going back to last May.


Much happier  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment