Thursday, January 25, 2018

Back to my Slush Fund

A few years ago, after the revelations about some of the things which my mother's family got up to and which were never spoken of  (great great uncle Charles was the black sheep of the family but nobody knew why  -  What???) I decided to record some of the truth about the family, not the fairy stories which I grew up with.

This was triggered by online access to archived newspapers which reported not only births, marriages and deaths  -  but the Court Reports where I discovered the family divorces, litigation, arrests and trials and the fact (not the newspapers but from my forebears' Wills) that my grandfather and his twin brother were "cuckoo babies".  So I am not actually the person I was brought up to believe I was and as the twins were born within a marriage they were legally legitimate and therefore their uncertain status was probably never ever talked about.

So I began to write a truthful family history which I named "Slush Fund".  I started doing it in html format so that it could be stored on a flash drive and sent to any family members who were interested.  The HTML format was so that I could incorporate links to allow easy navigation although I have never had any intention of posting it online even though most of what is written there is in the public domain.

For some reason I stopped creating this masterpiece, probably because I moved into my apartment about that time after selling my house and my life was severely disrupted for a while and I never got back to it.

Now I am back to it again and am faced with HTML and Windows 10 which came as a bit of a shock to me as I discovered that I could no longer edit easily the way I used to.  So I went online and found that most of the HTML users who had upgraded to Windows 10 were having the same problem: no longer could we right click on a web page and "view source"  which was the way to edit web pages created in Notepad which is an HTML facilitator.

So I spent all of yesterday evening trying to solve the issue and finally succeeded.  It is not as easy as it once was since I have yet to find out how to view both the web page and the coded page simultaneously so that it was possible to correct and save and instantly see the correction.  Maybe one day ...


In gratitude to FTM and Ancestry.com.au for making re-downloading FTM and syncing it to Ancestry.com.au so easy  I have sent off for a DNA kit, something I have been thinking about for some time as I would like to know why I have a B blood group.  It is coming next week.  I'll keep you posted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment