Tuesday, January 2, 2018

The Blue Screen of Death Mk II

On 20th December 2017 for the second time I have been faced with the blue screen of death on my computer.  This happened only 16 months since the last time and then I had to purchase a new computer.  I must confess to being somewhat miffed about this and since I bought the last one sort of under the radar from Techie I am not sure what will happen regarding replacement and warranties.

Since it is the Christmas season and I emailed him (no response) I suspect that he is taking a well-earned break and spending Christmas with his family.  I will phone him in a week or so and find out what sort of  recourse I have.

In the meanwhile I have set up my Surface Pro 3 tablet and plugged in a keyboard and mouse which is working well in the interim but am wondering if everything would have transferred here if I had saved all the information on my main computer to THE  CLOUD which I have so far managed to avoid as I worry that at some stage it could be hacked.  To be honest, the only thing which is at all sensitive is my Family Tree Maker program and that all automatically syncs to Ancestry.com but Ancestry blocks people who have not died or have not had their deaths recorded in FTM.

FTM is really the only program which I would prefer not to have to reload but I did it last time so it should be easier this time and I have all the documentation just in case.

Christmas is over, thank goodness.  I had the family for Boxing day this year and next year I will have them on Christmas day.  The joys of split families.  I suppose that, in a way, it is telling that I mostly received chocolates and things pertaining to cats.   I am glad, though, that it is over for another year and life is starting to get back to normal again.

D1 flew over from Sydney and stayed until Boxing Day Eve which was lovely and the cats were very happy to see her again. She is, and always has been, a cat whisperer and it is great that after many years of living in rented accommodation she finally has a cat of her own.  Strictly illegal in her apartment block and it is a very talkative Tonkinese but she suspects that it's presence is known but ignored.  We are lucky here  -  pets are allowed within reason; one animal weighing under 7 kilos except with permission from the board of owners.  I have written permission to have two cats (Parsifal weights in at just over 7 kilos) so I am legal but most pet owners here have dogs.


No comments:

Post a Comment