Tuesday, August 21, 2018

All Things Bright and Beautiful

At the moment I am on an extended health regimen, expanding on my almost daily bout of yoga.

D2 is currently in Bali learning Transcendental Meditation which brought to the forefront of my mind that I used to meditate regularly before I retired but had somehow let the whole thing slip.  However, I was taught well and slipped back into the routine very easily.  My mantra is not easily forgotten since it was once the word which I used almost more than any other and the rest of the routine of getting into a meditative state came easily, the only change being that I seem to be able to judge the amount of time I have been meditating better than I used to.  Once I used to surface after about 16 minutes  -  now I am doing the proper 20 minutes.

And spring has arrived here and for the last couple of days it has been warm and sunny so I decided that it was time I got back to walking regularly.  I need to lose a couple of kilos so the added exercise should help to shift it.  

Unfortunately we are back to winter today.


However, yesterday I decided to cross the railway line and see what had been going on since I last ventured that way.  When I was working I frequently rode my bike to work through this area so it was interesting to see what changes had been made.  I didn't recognise anything.  All the houses and shops have gone, taken over by large apartment blocks and construction sites which are leading to more large apartment blocks.

The golf course is still there  -  I think that it is the same one  -  but it has been transformed into a green velvet carpet,  extended by two playing fields belonging to one of the boys schools, and with shady trees and park benches and the swamp!!  It has been reinvented by an organisation called, I think, The Friends of Claremont aided and abetted by our 99 year old member of the knitting group who, along with others, has replanted the area around the swamp (now a lovely lake) with native creepers and flowering plants.  The area is fenced off at the moment but with the warm weather all the flowers are out and the ducks and swans are breeding undisturbed under huge, shady trees.

The whole place is stunningly beautiful and is about ten minutes walk away from my apartment and I intend to go back as soon as the current bout of rain clears.  And if I am in the mood  -  I passed three cafes just in case I need caffeine and cake.  Who could want more?

The limerick:

God's plan made a hopeful beginning
But man spoiled his chances by sinning.
We trust that the story
Will end in God's glory,
But at present the other side's winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment