Friday, August 10, 2018

Purple Possum

Today my Purple Possum yarn arrived from New Zealand and now I have to work out what I am going to knit with it.  I have decided to make a sweater with a shawl collar and that is where I have run into difficulties:  there are not a lot of patterns around which feature shawl necklines.

I combined two patterns for the pink possum sweater and will have to do the same with the purple one.  When I first started spinning I knitted a home-spun, greasy, very bulky sweater which became my sailing outerwear.  The thickness of the yarn did not reflect the thickness of the yarn in the pattern and I worked on ratios and carried a small calculator in my knitting bag.  The sweater had a shawl collar and not only did I have to constantly calculate the correct number of stitches and rows but I managed to follow what now seems to be totally incomprehensible instructions.  So I have decided to start knitting that pattern again and hope that enlightenment will follow. 

At the moment I am trying out a pattern for a string bag since Western Australia is going plastic-less.  I promised to take the pattern to Knitting next week but thought that I needed to try it out before inflicting it on the group.  I have noted a few points, one of which is buy some good quality crochet thread rather than using string from Bunnings, and cast on using BIG needles and transfer to smaller ones after a couple of rows.  The pattern is easy and I may even use the bag although it is bulky with the Bunnings string.

We are still having it very cold by Western Australian standards and tonight the weather prophets are expecting the fourth snowfall on the Stirling Ranges.  I had my hair cut and styled yesterday only to get caught in a downpour on my way home.  Admittedly I had a showerproof jacket with a hood but the wind was strong and the rain crept in.

The Limerick:  (This one may offend;  sorry but I think that it is funny)

There was a young lady named Alice
Who peed in a Catholic chalice.
The Padre agreed
'Twas done out of need,
And not out of Protestant malice.


No comments:

Post a Comment