Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Funerals are not Fun

Now that I have been forbidden to drive due to my deteriorating eyesight I have discovered that Karrakatta Cemetery is only three minutes away by train.  Two days ago I was sort of obliged to attend a funeral and not knowing which train to catch so that I didn't have to hang around for too long I used Transperth's Journey planner and discovered this useful bit of information.

Funerals are becoming a part of my life these days and I have lost a couple of my best friends already as well as my sister who died some years ago from smoking-related lung disease.  Don't go there  -  I know that it is hard to give up cigarettes but . . . .

Monday's funeral was for the wife of a second cousin, the couple being discovered during the course of my genealogical research.  I was asked by the said cousin's sister to compile a family tree of her mother's family and as she lives in Sydney it was all done via email and phone.  She provided the information and I provided the means to create the tree.

She emailed to let me know that her sister-in-law had died and said that she would be over in the west for two days and that if we were going to meet up it would have to be at the funeral  -  so I put on my Sunday best and turned up not knowing anyone except my cousins neither of whom I had seen for many years so I was not sure if I would even recognise them.  fortunately I recognised my cousin from Sydney but the husband of the woman who died had changed so much that I needed to have him pointed out to me.  Hopefully he will get back his vigour when he is rested; he looked after his wife at home right to the end.

The forecast was for storms that day but luckily the weather was kind and this morning I woke up to a gorgeous morning with clear skies and no wind so I decided to cross the railway line and take another walk in the park.  This time I went a bit further and reached a part which hadn't changed so much and I actually recognised the street I used to ride to work down.  All the building work is happening close to the railway line as an encouragement to take the train to work and leave the cars at home.  It was a lovely walk but next time I will take a hat as the sun was still low and very bright.

However, no sooner had I reached home when all the bad weather arrived and we have had freezing gale-force winds and torrential rain for the rest of the day.  I have had the heating turned right up and the cats have been sleeping all day in a furry bundle on their blankie.

Your limerick:

An indolent vicar of Bray
His roses allowed to decay.
His wife more alert,
Bought a powerful squirt
And said to her spouse, "Let us spray."

No comments:

Post a Comment