Sunday, September 15, 2013

Storm in a teacup

I have spun, plied and skeined the first fruits of the 'Storm' merino/silk mix fibre from New Zealand and it has turned out better than I expected, considering the swearing and cursing I did while I was spinning it.  The lumps of silk are not as obvious as I thought that they would be and the pills of fibre, according to D3, are called noiles and are supposed to be there to give texture.  It is a bit overplied in a couple of places but has the required three twists in the skein before washing and hanging and is useable.  I should get three 200gm skeins as the whole bump weighed 600gms which should hopefully give me enough for a vest.

The black corridale should be arriving today as the tracking record shows that it is on its way from Osborne Park so I shall be busy for a while.

Tomorrow is GB2's 10th birthday and I have bought her "Ballet Shoes" by Noel Streatfield.  I hope that it is not too old for her  - it is about kids her age and it is time she moved out of the cat mode and into girly things like ballet and ponies.  I couldn't find any pony books except Black Beauty which I cried hot tears over when I was about her age, but ... 

This post is really to show the Storm skein as http://www.ravelry.com squares the pictures and the ends of the skeins don't show.  Click on the picture to enlarge it.



No comments:

Post a Comment