Monday, September 24, 2018

Why do I stick with Microsoft?

About ten days ago MS Word began to refuse to allow editing.  I went on-line and was told that for once it wasn't Microsoft's fault and that I would have to reload my Office 16.  When I went to Programs and Features I found that I had two versions of MS Office 16 and that both of them had been installed on 16-9-2018  -  nine day ago which is about when I started having problems.  So which one was I supposed to delete and re-load.  I decided to call Techie for help and advice but with a long weekend coming up and probably others with the same problem (a quick look on-line emphasized this supposition) I decided to wait.

I thought that at least I could try to sort it myself and Techie could clear up the mess I left.  So I copied the instructions for sorting the problem  -  not a download but an adjustment.  The instructions:

"Go to developer tab  File>Options>Customise Ribbon and select Developer.  In Protection group go to Document Protection.  Navigate to bottom of panel and click 'stop protection'."

Hmmmm   -  I couldn't find 'stop protection' so decided on my original plan of getting Techie to fix it.

I went back to an MS Word document and at the top were three words only  "File" "Save" and something I do not remember, probably 'Cancel' or 'Delete'.  I clicked on 'File' and suddenly I had all the editing tools back again not just for that particular document but for all my MS Word documents.  Don't ask;  I do not know! 

 BTW  Microsoft has extended the use of Office 16 to 2025 so I have some leeway until I am forced to buy a subscription version of MS Office.  This is just a 'by-the-way' for other Office16 users.

Parsifal is still vomiting a bit  -  well, this morning  -  but is eating and drinking so I will sit it out unless things get critical again.

Today's Limerick:-

"Well Madam," the Bishop declared, 
While the vicar just mumbled and stared,
" 'Twere better, perhaps
In the crypt or the apse,
Because sex in the nave must be shared."

No comments:

Post a Comment