Thursday, August 25, 2016

Where there's a Will Part 2

Now that I have finally sorted out FTM and my family tree as far as, at this stage, I want to go with it I am starting to transcribe various family Wills which I have been gathering over the last couple of years.

I began, some time ago, with the Will of my maternal grandfather JM and deduced from the Will and its accompanying Codicil that he didn't believe that my grandfather and his twin brother had been fathered by him and as he was dying when the twins were conceived he  probably had a point.  This prompted me to send for the Wills of my grandfather's siblings which make amusing reading although the one which I am currently working on is very hard to read and is very explicit with lots of clauses  and going into great detail as to the disposition of her curtains, blinds, carpets and linoleums in the event of any of her heirs predeceasing her or having children who predeceased her.

I have just reached the interesting bits concerning her property in the Onkaparinga Hundreds and who got what and whatever.  Unfortunately the last page is almost unreadable but I have found that, becoming familiar with the style of the thing I can now read more than I could when I first received it.  I will do my best but there may be gaps.  The difficulty which I am having with the first two pages is that, like all legal documents from that time, it is typed on a bad typewriter, has little or no punctuation, is unformatted, is a solid block with no paragraphs and has been photocopied off from a bound volume so that the right edge is distorted.  I keep on losing my place ...

I have also transcribed the Will of my father's father which would probably not be legal in the here and now but was passed for Probate in 1933.  It was a bit of an eye-opener but not very interesting.  The one I am looking forward to is that of my great uncle RM whose Will is so nasty that it is funny.  I always suspected him of having a good sense of humour but what I didn't realise was how much he hated his brother JCM.  I have not bothered to get JCM's will  -  I suspect that he left nothing but debts.

And my great uncle and twin brother to my grandfather DM left, among his effects, thirteen sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment